The Red Cross is designating December 13 the “National Day of Giving for the American Red Cross” as part of its efforts to reach the $100 million fundraising goal for its Campaign for Disaster Relief, which the organization launched in September.
“We’ve made some incredible progress toward our goal in a short period of time,” said Jeffrey Towers, chief development officer of the Red Cross, “and we’re confident that the National Day of Giving for the American Red Cross will bring us that much closer.”
Red Cross volunteers and employees will reach out on December 13 to their friends and neighbors to help raise money for the Campaign for Disaster Relief, which aims to replenish the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. The fund was depleted as a result of a very busy year of disasters, including a record number of tornadoes, severe flooding in the central United States and an active hurricane season. From January through October 2008, the Red Cross had already responded to more than 70 large-scale disasters.
The Red Cross relies on the Disaster Relief Fund to provide food, shelter and counseling for disaster victims in the United States. Red Cross volunteers respond not only during large events like hurricanes or earthquakes, but also in thousands of “silent” disasters-most commonly house fires-that happen in communities every day, all across the country.
There are several ways the public can help the Red Cross meet its $100 million goal, which will go toward helping the victims of thousands of disasters across the country each year:
- Look for Red Cross volunteers in your community on December 13. They will be available to take donations on the spot. Share what you can with your neighbors.
- Donate to the Red Cross by going to www.redcross.org or calling 1-800-REDCROSS (for Spanish-speakers, 1-800-257-7575).
- Send contributions to the Disaster Relief Fund to your local Red Cross chapter or to the American Red Cross, P. O. Box 37243, Washington, DC 20013.
- Use your cell phone to donate $5 to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund by text messaging the keyword “GIVE” (4483) to “2HELP” (24357).
- Shop the Red Cross online store at www.redcrossstore.org.