We urges drivers to prepare for driving conditions after heavy snowfall. Before you and your loved ones take off in the family vehicle, the Red Cross suggests some precautions to prepare for severe weather. The Red Cross recommends that every car this winter have a well-stocked emergency supply kit. The kit should contain:
- Battery jumper cables
- First Aid kit
- Extra winter clothing (caps, socks, mittens and boots)
- Windshield scrapper
- Flashlight and transistor radio with extra batteries for each.
- Food supply of high-calorie, non-perishables (canned nuts, candy, nutrition bars)
- Bag of sand
- Basic tool kit (pliers, screwdriver, adjustable wrench) and pocket knife
- Bright colored cloth
- Wireless phone, if available
- Sleeping bags and blankets
If stranded while traveling in winter conditions, drivers should stay with their vehicles and tie a brightly colored cloth to the antenna. Stranded person should avoid exposure to the cold and overexertion when attempting to push the car or shovel heavy snowdrifts. If a wireless phone is available, it and any emergency number should be a part of the emergency supply kit on all trips during severe weather. For more information about cold weather safety or for a copy of the “Are You Ready for a Winter Storm?” brochure, contact Rock River Chapter at 815-963-8471.